Tuesday, June 16, 2009

$500 Teen Bedroom makeover

Thank you to the Washington Post for selecting this post for Blogwatch June 18, 2009!

I thought I'd share a quick before & after with you. This client's teenage daughter visits him on the weekends & so he wanted to create a bedroom for her in the basement out of a wasted room. (below)


I only had $500 to work with, so I used a bed & little table he already owned. The bed looked similar to the one below, but it was more an "oaky" color... (I probably wouldn't have painted the one below) I had it lacquered in white.


I also did all of the shopping at places like Target and Bed Bath & Beyond and found the accessories at thrift stores. Paint was my friend on this project. My client's daughter requested a pretty, calming "shabby chic" look with a bit of glam. It also had to have a chandelier. I love this glass ball lamp from Ralph Lauren Home but found a MUCH cheaper version from Target.


Her favorite color is turquoise, but I didn't want to overpower the room with it...
I found these fun (and inexpensive!!) jersey knit tie dyed sheets in turquoise:



I went with a comfy white cable knit blanket on the bed and made a couple of pillows in fun turquoise fabrics. I also added flirty feminine details in the bedding like runched white Euroshams & a turquoise accent pillow.


I used white painted for the thrift shop accessories: a shelf, a mirror & some other things and got this great little mini chandelier from Pottery Barn Teen:


So here's one last look at the "Before":

And here's the "After":

Now she has a fun place to stay on the weekends & plans on inviting friends over all the time! (All for less than $500!!)

Hope you enjoyed!!

xoxo,

lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment